Fish status surveys in small acid sensitive rivers and lakes in northeastern Finnish Lapland. River studies by means of electrofishing as part of regular regional Fish monitoring. In lakes, irregular gillnet and electofishing surveys in certain high altitude lakes and ponds.
This is a National Implementation Plan (NIP) project
- Project time span
- 1990 - 2000
- Data collection
- 1990 - 2000
- Data processing
- 1990 - 1995
- Data reporting
- 1990 - 1995
- Are data archived or planned to be archived at an AMAP Thematic Data Centre?
- If no (or only part of data are reported to a TDC), where and how are (other) data stored?
- Data stored in the institute, FGFRI
Available after request, through contact persons
- References to key publications (or planned publications) and data reports
- Erkinaro, J., Niemelä, E., Erkinaro, H. & Rask, M. 1992. Monitoring of the possible effects of acidification on fish populations and zoobenthos of rivers and lakes in northeastern Finnish Lapland. - In: Tikkanen, E., Varmola, M. & Katermaa, T. (toim.), Symposion on the State of the Environment and Environmental Monitoring in Northern Fennoscandia and the Kola Peninsula. Arctic Centre Publications 4, s. 168-171. Arctic Centre, University of Lapland, Rovaniemi.
Lappalainen, A., Mähönen, O., Erkinaro, J., Rask, M. & Niemelä, E. 1995. Acid deposition from the Russian Kola Peninsula: are sensitive fish populations in North-eastern Finnish Lapland affected? Water Air Soil Pollut. 85, s. 439-444.
Lappalainen, A., Tammi, J., Puro-Tahvanainen, A. 2007. The effects of nickel smelters on water quality and littoral fish species composition in small watercourses in the border are of Finland and Russia. Boreal Environment Research 12: 455-466.
- Samples/specimens archived in specimen banks?
Methods & Procedures
- Procedures and methodology used for, e.g., sampling and sample storage, sample pretreatment, extraction and analysis, including which laboratories are involved, references to methods employed, etc.
Electrofishing is carried out according to the principles of EU/CEN standard
Gillnet sampling of fish in lakes (in the future) according to Swedish standard methods for
sampling freshwater fish with multi-mesh gillnets (Appelberg, M. 2000. Fiskeriverket information 2000:1, 27 p.)
Age determination of fish: according to common principles adopted in Fenno-Scandia
- QA/QC Information (what QA/QC procedures are implemented, laboratories involvment in QA/QC activities, model verification/validation routines, etc.)
See the previous point.
- Is this a bi- AND multi-lateral project (i.e. a project involving cooperation between different countries)?
- Other institutes involved in the project
Lapland Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment(water quality analyses).
- Is this project reporting to other organizations/programmes?
Internal reporting of the FGFRI