To examine concentrations and biological effects of selected trace elements in king and common eiders from various locations in the Canadian arctic.
This is not a National Implementation Plan (NIP) project
- Project time span
- 1997 - 2002
- Data collection
- 1997 - 2001
- Data processing
- 1998 - 2002
- Data reporting
- 1999 - 2002
- Regions studied
- Heavy metals
- Stations or areas where observations are made
East Bay Migratory Bird Sanctuary (64 04N 81 00W),
Holman on Victoria Island (@ 71 N 118W)
Belcher Islands (@ 57N 79W)
- Are data archived or planned to be archived at an AMAP Thematic Data Centre?
- If no (or only part of data are reported to a TDC), where and how are (other) data stored?
- Data stored in spreadsheet files in Excel by Mark Wayland (see contact address and e-mail above).
- References to key publications (or planned publications) and data reports
- Wayland, M. 1999. Contaminants in arctic sea ducks. Pp. 211-215 in Jensen, J. (ed.),Environmental studies No. 75, Synopsis of research condi=ucted under the 1997/98 Northern Contaminants Program, Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development,Ottawa
Wayland, M., Gilchrist, H.G., Dickson, L., Braune, B.M., Bollinger, T., Marchant, T., James, C. 1999. Contaminants in arctic sea ducks. Pp. 213-222 in Kalhok, S. (ed.), Synopsis of research conducted under the 1998/99 Northern Contaminants Program, Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development, Ottawa.
Wayland, M., Gilchrist, H.G., Dickson, L., Braune, B.M., Bollinger, T., Marchant, T., Smits, J.E.G. in press. Levels and effects of contaminants in arctic sea ducks. In: Synposis of research conducted under the 1999/2000 Northern Contaminants Program, Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development, Ottawa.
Wayland, M., Garcia-Fernandez, A.-J., Neuegebauer, E., and Gilchrist, H.G. in press. Concentrations of mercury, selenium and cadmium in liver, kidney and blood of common eider ducks. Environ. Monitor. Assess.
- Samples/specimens archived in specimen banks?
- Specimen banking information
Liver, kidney, blood of king and common eiders frozen at -20C at the National wildlife Research Centre, in Hull, Quebec. Stored indefinitely.
Methods & Procedures
- Procedures and methodology used for, e.g., sampling and sample storage, sample pretreatment, extraction and analysis, including which laboratories are involved, references to methods employed, etc.
Samples collected and frozen immediately in field prior to transport to -20C freezer. Samples analyzed by a combination of flame and GF-AAS. Also, some analyses done by ICP. Analyses done at NWRC (ENvironment Canada).
- Is this a bi- AND multi-lateral project (i.e. a project involving cooperation between different countries)?
- Other institutes involved in the project
National Wildlife Research Centre (Environment Canada)
University of Saskatchewan
- Is this project reporting to other organizations/programmes?
Northern Contaminants Program
Toxic Substances Research Initiative