National Environmental Monitoring in Sweden.
The project is included in a European Monitoring and Evaluation Programme network (EMEP). The subprogram main task is to check if international agreements as UN Convention on Long range Trans-boundary Air Pollution (CLTRAP) is followed.
The measurements follow up the Swedish national generational goals "Natural Acidification Only", "A Non-Toxic Environment" and "Clean Air". The network comprises 10 stations, out of which three are in north Sweden, the two one are in AMAP area. Air chemistry is monitored by diffusion samplers. The following compounds are measured: SO2, SO4, tot-NH4, tot-NO3, soot, NO2. Precipitation quality is monitored following measured compounds: SO4-S, NO-N, Cl, NH4-N, Ca, Mg, Na, K, pH, EC. Metals in air and precipitation are analysed only at one north station (Bredkälen), and include: As, Cd, Co, Cr, Cu, Mn, Ni, Pb, Zn, V, Hg, methyl-Hg.
This is a National Implementation Plan (NIP) project
- Project time span
- 1977 - 2099
- Data collection
- 1977 - 2011
- Data processing
- 1977 - 2011
- Data reporting
- 1977 - 2011
- Regions studied
- Arctic, Circumpolar
- Stations or areas where observations are made
In Sweden the daily monitoring within EMEP network comprises 10 stations, out of which three are in northern Sweden, two in AMAP area:
Esrange (X:7541523, Y:1721062), Vindeln (X: 7133047, Y:1692049)and Bredkälen station (X:7082482, Y:1476907)close to AMAP area.
- Are data archived or planned to be archived at an AMAP Thematic Data Centre?
- If no (or only part of data are reported to a TDC), where and how are (other) data stored?
- Results are available on the Swedish Environmental Research Institutes (IVL) websities: (www.ivl.se);
(www3.ivl.se/miljo/db/IVL_luft_registersida.htm). Data by station from clickable map. Search directly in the database.
Results from the Swedish EMEP-programme are published annually in Swedish, together with results from the Swedish Precipitation Chemistry Network (www.emep.int/), and on Swedish Environmental Monitoring North of 60oN website: http://monitoringn60.slu.se/.
Results are also reported to the EMEP database at NILU, to be included in the European modelling and evaluation activities (www.emep.int/).
For more information contact Karin Sjöberg at IVL Göteborg, tel +46 31 725 62 00,
or data can be requested by mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- References to key publications (or planned publications) and data reports
- Results from the Swedish EMEP-programme are published annually, in Swedish, together with results from the Swedish Precipitation Chemistry Network. Results are also reported to the EMEP database at NILU, to be included in the European modelling (www.emep.int/) and evaluation activities (www.smed.se/). Reports are available on the Swedish Environmental Research Institutes (IVL) websities: (www.ivl.se/english/ivlstartpage/topmenu/reportspublications/downloadreport.4.360a0d56117c51a2d30800063742.html), on Swedish EPA website: (www.naturvardsverket.se/sv/Tillstandet-i-miljon/Miljoovervakning/Rapporter-och-nyhetsbrev/), and (www.naturvardsverket.se/sv/Tillstandet-i-miljon/Miljoovervakning/Rapporter-och-nyhetsbrev/Rapporter-Luft/).
For more information contact Karin Sjöberg at IVL Göteborg, tel +46 31 725 62 00.
More data can be requested by mail to email@example.com
- Samples/specimens archived in specimen banks?
Methods & Procedures
- Procedures and methodology used for, e.g., sampling and sample storage, sample pretreatment, extraction and analysis, including which laboratories are involved, references to methods employed, etc.
All analyses are performed at the accredited laboratory at IVL according to EMEPs recommendation (www3.ivl.se/miljo/db/IVL_luft_registersida.htm), and (www.naturvardsverket.se/upload/02_tillstandet_i_miljon/Miljoovervakning/programomraden/luft/Kval-dek%20Luft_%20nederbordskemi_inom_EMEP.pdf).
The programme includes daily sampling of sulphur- and nitrogen compounds and HCl,as well as metals (Na, K, Ca; Mg) in air. Hourly registraion of ozone levels and sampling of precipitation for analysis of major inorganic components on a weekly basis are proceed. Air chemistry is monitored by diffusion samplers. Precipitation quality is monitored by samplers with lid, open only when it rains.
- Is this a bi- AND multi-lateral project (i.e. a project involving cooperation between different countries)?
- Other institutes involved in the project
EMEP (European Monitoring and Evaluation Programme); SEPA (Swedish Environment Protection Agency) .
- Is this project reporting to other organizations/programmes?
The data are reported to EU and EMEP, Swedish EPA, European Environment Information and Observation Network (EIONET).