Vascular plants and mosses are also terrestrial bioindicators for radioactive fallout, The summer fodder of reindeer consist of 200- 300 vascular plants . Therefore vascular plants are an important link in the foodchain plants - reindeer/game - man.
STUK has several permanent plant sampling sites, usually in the vicinity of the lichen plots. Only a few of of them are included in Finnish NIP.
The results obtained are gammanuclide or occasionally also 90Sr concentrations, Bq/kg.
This is a National Implementation Plan (NIP) project
- Terminated before completion
- Project time span
- 1980 - 2011
- Data collection
- 1980 - 2003
- Data processing
- 1980 - 2003
- Data reporting
- 1980 - 2011
- Regions studied
- Stations or areas where observations are made
Utsjoki, Koihkenjavepakti (1986-1999)
Rovaniemi rural commune, Apukka (1982-1995)
Kittilä, Pahtavuoma area (1980-1989)
Salla, (Oulanka) Pesosjärvi (1988-1998)
(coordinates will be added later)
- Are data archived or planned to be archived at an AMAP Thematic Data Centre?
If no (or only part of data are reported to a TDC), where and how are (other) data stored?
The data is stored in STUK/Rovaniemi database.
The data will be available for the AMAP Phase II report
References to key publications (or planned publications) and data reports
Anttila, A. et al. 2011. Concentrations of 137Cs in summer pasture plants that reindeer feed on in the reindeer management area of Finland. J. Env.Rad. , 102, Issue 7, 659-666
- Data centres
- Radioactivity TDC
- Terrestrial TDC
- Samples/specimens archived in specimen banks?
- Specimen banking information
Samples collected by STUK since 1975.
All of them as dried, homogenized samples in plastic bags and jars stored in metal containers at room temperature in STUKs Regional Laboratory in Northern Finland.
Only the few samples analysed radiochemically for 90Sr may be destroyed completely.
Methods & Procedures
- Procedures and methodology used for, e.g., sampling and sample storage, sample pretreatment, extraction and analysis, including which laboratories are involved, references to methods employed, etc.
Sampling and pretreatment described under other data (above)
- QA/QC Information (what QA/QC procedures are implemented, laboratories involvment in QA/QC activities, model verification/validation routines, etc.)
Intercomparison IAEA, NKS, EU.
STUK is accreditated for gammaspectrometric measurements, 90Sr and Pu-isotope analyses (FINAS).
- Is this a bi- AND multi-lateral project (i.e. a project involving cooperation between different countries)?
- Other institutes involved in the project
University of Oulu, Oulanka biological station
Finnish Game and Fisheries Research Institute, Reindeer Research Station/ Kaamanen
- Indigenous AND traditional knowledge used in this project
Utsjoki sampling location is owned by a sami reindeer herder family. Discussions on summer diet of reindeer.