The project monitors the artificial radioactivities in natural products in Finnish Lapland. The work mainly started after Chernobyl accident.
This is not a National Implementation Plan (NIP) project
- Project time span
- 1986 -
- Data collection
- 1986 - 2015
- Data processing
- 1988 - 2014
- Data reporting
- 2009 - 2014
- Regions studied
- Radioactivity TDC
- Stations or areas where observations are made
Rivers Torniojoki and Tenojoki
- Are data archived or planned to be archived at an AMAP Thematic Data Centre?
If no (or only part of data are reported to a TDC), where and how are (other) data stored?
All data is stored at STUK and the main time series are stored at radioactivity TDC. Some of the data has been used in publications. Data can be obtained by a request from the project leader.
References to key publications (or planned publications) and data reports
A.-P. Leppänen, M. Muikku, T. Jaakkola, J. Lehto, T. Rahola, K. Rissanen and M. Tillander
Effective half-lives of 134Cs and 137Cs in reindeer meat and in reindeer herders in
Finland after the Chernobyl accident, and the ensuing effective radiation doses to humans
Health Physics, 100(5), 468-481 (2011).
M. Koivurova, A.-P. Leppänen, A. Kallio. Transfer factors and effective half-lives of 134Cs and 137Cs in different
environmental sample types obtained from Northern Finland: case Fukushima accident. J. Environ. Rad., 146, 73-79 (2015).
- Data centres
- Radioactivity TDC
- Samples/specimens archived in specimen banks?
- Specimen banking information
No speciment banking.
Methods & Procedures
- Procedures and methodology used for, e.g., sampling and sample storage, sample pretreatment, extraction and analysis, including which laboratories are involved, references to methods employed, etc.
Samples are mainly delivered to the laboratory by the e.g. reindeer herders.
- QA/QC Information (what QA/QC procedures are implemented, laboratories involvment in QA/QC activities, model verification/validation routines, etc.)
Participation in proficiency tests such as NPL PTE.
- Is this a bi- AND multi-lateral project (i.e. a project involving cooperation between different countries)?
- Other institutes involved in the project
Generally no other institutes are involved. However, some data sharing have been practised with research group in the University of Eastern Finland.
- Is this project reporting to other organizations/programmes?
- Indigenous AND traditional knowledge used in this project