Purpose is to estimate the pollution fallout in rain. Rainwater is analyzed for acidifying compounds, nutrients, POPs and metals. Project is managed by Finnish Environmental Centre (SYKE) and Finnish Meteorological institute (FMI).
This is a National Implementation Plan (NIP) project
- Project time span
- 2008 -
- Data collection
- 2008 -
- Data processing
- 2008 -
- Data reporting
- not specified
- Are data archived or planned to be archived at an AMAP Thematic Data Centre?
- If no (or only part of data are reported to a TDC), where and how are (other) data stored?
- Data stored by Finnish Environmental Centre (SYKE).
- References to key publications (or planned publications) and data reports
- Vuorenmaa, J. 2004. Long-term changes of acidifying deposition in Finland (1973-2000). Environmental Pollution, 128: 351-362.
Rekolainen, S., Mitikka, S., Vuorenmaa, J. & Johansson, M. 2005. Rapid decline of dissolved nitrogen in Finnish lakes. Journal of Hydrology 304: 94-102.
Posch, M., Aherne, J., Forsius, M., Fronzek, S. & Veijalainen, N. 2008. Modelling the impacts of European emission and climate change scenarios on acid-sensitive catchments in Finland. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 12: 449-463.
Aherne, J., Posch, M., Forsius, M., Vuorenmaa, J., Tamminen, P., Holmberg, M, Johansson, M. 2008. Modelling the hydrogeochemistry of acid-sensitive catchments in Finland under atmospheric deposition and biomass harvesting scenarios. Biogeochemistry 88(3): 233-256
- Samples/specimens archived in specimen banks?
Methods & Procedures
- Procedures and methodology used for, e.g., sampling and sample storage, sample pretreatment, extraction and analysis, including which laboratories are involved, references to methods employed, etc.
-rainwater is sampled in "bulk samples" obtained from "fallout collectors".
-samples collected, weighted and analyzed once every week.
- Is this a bi- AND multi-lateral project (i.e. a project involving cooperation between different countries)?
- Other institutes involved in the project
IVL Swedish Environmental Research Institute Ltd.
- Is this project reporting to other organizations/programmes?
Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Programme (AMAP), The European Monitoring and Evaluation Programme (EMEP).