National Environmental Monitoring in Sweden. Monitoring of heavy metals in fish proceeds in 110 trend lakes in entire Sweden (12 lakes are in AMAP area). Annual sampling is carried on 32 lakes,which seven are in AMAP area. Three fish species are selected: Arctic char (Salvelinus alpinus), Northern pike (Esox lucius), and Perch (Perca fluviatilis). In prepared samples of muscles and liver selected metals are analysed. Analyzed metals in liver are : Al, Ag, As, Bi, Cd, Cr, Cu, Ni, Pb, Sb, Sn and Zn. In muscle samples Hg and stabile isotopes δ 15N, δ 13C are analysed.
This is a National Implementation Plan (NIP) project
- Project time span
- 1981 - 2099
- Data collection
- 1981 - 2011
- Data processing
- 1981 - 2011
- Data reporting
- 1981 - 2011
- Regions studied
- Arctic, Circumpolar
- Stations or areas where observations are made
Lakes: Abiskojaure (X: 758208, Y:161749), Jutsajaure (X: 744629, Y:167999), Njalakjaure (X:741340, Y:153576), Pahajärvi (X:742829, Y:183168), Vuolgamjaure (X:728744, Y:162653), Stor-Arasjön (X:716717, Y:158596), Bjännsjön (X:713404, Y:172465) in AMAP area.
- Are data archived or planned to be archived at an AMAP Thematic Data Centre?
- If no (or only part of data are reported to a TDC), where and how are (other) data stored?
- Swedish EPA website: (http://www.naturvardsverket.se/sv/Start/Tillstandet-i-miljon/Miljoovervakning/Miljoovervakningsdata/),
Swedish Environmental Research Institutes (IVL) website: (http://www.ivl.se/vanstermeny/miljodatadatavardskap/datavardskapbiota); (http://www3.ivl.se/miljo/db/IVL_biota_registersida.htm),
and partly on Swedish Museum of Natural History website: (http://www.nrm.se/en/menu/researchandcollections/departments/contaminantresearch/environmentalmonitoring/thefreshwaterprogramme.934_en.html),
For more informations contact
Swedish Environmental Research Institute (IVL)
402 58 Göteborg
phone: +4631 725 62 30
- References to key publications (or planned publications) and data reports
- on SEPA, IVL, and NRM websities are links to reporting and publications:
Swedish EPA: (http://www.naturvardsverket.se/sv/Tillstandet-i-miljon/Miljoovervakning/Miljoovervakningsdata/);
Swedish Environmental Research Institutes (IVL): (http://www.ivl.se/vanstermeny/miljodatadatavardskap/datavardskapbiota) and (http://www3.ivl.se/miljo/db/IVL_biota_registersida.htm);
partly on Swedish Museum of Natural History website: (http://www.nrm.se/en/menu/researchandcollections/departments/contaminantresearch/environmentalmonitoring/thefreshwaterprogramme.934_en.html).
- Samples/specimens archived in specimen banks?
- Specimen banking information
Collected material are stored at the Environmental Specimen Bank in the Swedish Museum of Natural History (http://www.nrm.se/en/menu/researchandcollections/departments/contaminantresearch/environmentalspecimenbank.937_en.html)For more information contact:
Swedish Museum of Natural History (NRM), Dept, of Contaminant Research
PO Box 50007
SE 104 05 Stockholm,
Phone: +468 51954111
Methods & Procedures
- Procedures and methodology used for, e.g., sampling and sample storage, sample pretreatment, extraction and analysis, including which laboratories are involved, references to methods employed, etc.
All analyses are performed at the accredited laboratory at ITM, SU. Samples are stored on the Environmental Specimen Bank - ESB od Swedish Museum of Natural History (http://www.nrm.se/en/menu/researchandcollections/departments/contaminantresearch/environmentalspecimenbank.937_en.html)
- Is this a bi- AND multi-lateral project (i.e. a project involving cooperation between different countries)?
- Other institutes involved in the project
Swedish Environmental Research Institute (IVL)- data management;
Environmental Specimen Bank - ESB, Swedish Museum of Natural History- sample storage
- Is this project reporting to other organizations/programmes?