Examine temporal and spatial variation in trace metal concentrations in the western Arctic through the analysis of Black Guillemot feathers. Temporal trends being examined using study skins collected as early as 1897. Spatial variation examined in conjunction with carbon isotope signatures in feathers and by sampling both winter and summer plumages. Regional climate change monitored through examination of annual variation in breeding chronology and success in relation to snow and ice melt.
This is not a National Implementation Plan (NIP) project
- Project time span
- 2000 - 2002
- Data collection
- 2000 - 2001
- Data processing
- 2000 - 2002
- Data reporting
- 2001 - 2002
- Regions studied
- Alaska, North Slope
- Beaufort Sea
- Bering Sea
- Chukchi Sea
- Other areas
- Beaufort, Chukchi and northern Bering seas
- Stations or areas where observations are made
Specimens collected primarily within 35 km of Point Barrow, Alaska although historical specimens from the Beaufort, Chukchi and northern Bering seas also are being examined.
- Are data archived or planned to be archived at an AMAP Thematic Data Centre?
- Data centres
- Marine TDC
- Samples/specimens archived in specimen banks?
- Specimen banking information
Feathers being archived at University of Alaska Museum
Methods & Procedures
- Procedures and methodology used for, e.g., sampling and sample storage, sample pretreatment, extraction and analysis, including which laboratories are involved, references to methods employed, etc.
Feathers are being obtained from historical museum specimens and from living birds in the field. Analysis of methyl mercury, cadmium and lead being done by Frontier Geosciences in Seattle, Washington.
- Is this a bi- AND multi-lateral project (i.e. a project involving cooperation between different countries)?