Investigation of benthic faunal communities for: taxon distribution/ biodiversity mapping; examination of effects of glacial and physical disturbance on community structure; relation between faunal structure and sediment contaminants.
This is not a National Implementation Plan (NIP) project
- Project time span
- 1997 - 2001
- Data collection
- 1997 - 2000
- Data processing
- 2000 - 2001
- Data reporting
- 2001 - 2001
- Regions studied
- Stations or areas where observations are made
Station no. Name Latitude Longitude
St. 0 Kongsfjorden 79 °02,2` N 11 ° 08,0` E
St. 1 Kongsfjorden 79 °00,9` N 11 ° 23,0` E
St. 3 Kongsfjorden 78 °56,7` N 11 ° 57,0` E
St. 4 Kongsfjorden 78 °55,0` N 12 ° 07` E
St. 5 Kongsfjorden 78 °53,7` N 12 ° 28,2` E
- Are data archived or planned to be archived at an AMAP Thematic Data Centre?
References to key publications (or planned publications) and data reports
Data are planned incorporated into a joint publication with the Polish Institute of Oceanology.
Working Title (authors in alphabetical order):
Cochrane, S.J., S. Dahle, T.H. Pearson, J.M. Weslawski & M. Wodarska-Kowalczuk. Benthic fauna in the Kongsfjorden - clues and challenges for interpreting an unstable environment.
- Data centres
- Marine TDC
- Samples/specimens archived in specimen banks?
- Specimen banking information
Specimens are stored at Akvaplan-niva. All taxa are individually bottled per sample replicate and stored in 70-80% ethanol for an unlimited period.
Methods & Procedures
- Procedures and methodology used for, e.g., sampling and sample storage, sample pretreatment, extraction and analysis, including which laboratories are involved, references to methods employed, etc.
Sampling procedures and processing of biological samples are carried out in accordance with Norwegian Standard NS9423 and the relevant ICES, JAMP/OSPARCOM & HELCOM guidelines.
- QA/QC Information (what QA/QC procedures are implemented, laboratories involvment in QA/QC activities, model verification/validation routines, etc.)
All samples processed at Akvaplan-niva's biological laboratory. Norwegian accreditation rules and quality assurance procedures enforced.
- Is this a bi- AND multi-lateral project (i.e. a project involving cooperation between different countries)?
- Other institutes involved in the project
Polish Institute of Oceanology. Contact person Jan Marcin Weslawski
- Is this project reporting to other organizations/programmes?
Currently reporting to Norwegian Polar Institute, who report on entire (climate and ecosystem-related) project to Norwegian research Council.
- Other related projects
Directly related to contaminant analyses reported in Akvaplan-niva project " Contaminants in
Marine Sediments" (same sampling stations). Previously registered with AMAP.